Firefox DoS

With Blackhat impending, and given how many individual issues I’ll be discussing, I thought I should start posting them here. That and the fact that I’m quickly approaching my 1000′th post (which, if I have my way will be my last on means that I need to start wrapping up these issues into a neat little bow. I have 43 more, as of this post, so the clock is ticking. During my research for Blackhat I found a few things that were unrelated to the main content, and didn’t make sense to include in the presentation. So let’s start with a little user-initiated DoS that I was toying with. It’s using a bunch of frames and then throwing a recursive heap-spray into it. The heap-spray may or may not be a red-herring, but I got the best results when I used it compared to some of the other tests I ran.
On my system it gave me an odd set of errors. Typically with any type of recursion Firefox will eventually pop up the “A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.” error. This is no different, except for what script it thinks is misbehaving. The error alternates, but if I leave it running long enough sometimes I get “chrome://noscript/content/Main.js:2149″ sometimes I get “chrome://global/content/bindings/general.xml:0″ sometimes I get “file:///C:/Programe%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsContentPrefService:1012″ and so on… These may point to race conditions, memory overwriting or something equally bad. Perhaps someone with more time can do more with this, but it was kind of fun to play with. Anyway, please save your work before you try this, but here is the demo.

One Response to “c0decstuff”

What's on Your Mind...

Thank f' u C0mment